Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Girl Scout Trip to Helen, GA

It's been a few days since I've blogged....
I've been sick, Michael's been sick....I went with Hannah's Girl Scout Troop to Georgia.
We had a really good time. We hiked to see 2 different falls...boy, was that a lot of hiking. We tubed down the Hooch...I'm too fat to tube down 6 inches of water. We ate at some really good restaurants...I love taking pictures of food. We shopped in Helen... we spent over an hour in the glass blowing shop!

Okay, is it wrong that I'm about to blog about food? My friends are blogging about their spiritual convictions and I'm blogging about food....I think that there really is something wrong with it, but I'm going to do it anyway!

We decided to eat at a restaurant called Edelweiss German Inn & Restaurant - delicious! We got all dressed up and drove to Sautee, Georgia. The restaurant closed at 9pm and we arrived at 8:15pm. There were barely any cars in the parking lot and we were a little nervous...thinking that maybe the restaurant was either (a) closed or (b) not good. Well, as it turns out it was (c) none of the above....it was WONDERFUL! We were greeted by 2 women who were dressed in German outfits and quickly led to a table for 6. The table had a beautiful tablerunner, candles and flowers. The lights were dim and the atmosphere was authentic...I'm imagining since I've never been to Germany.

After receiving our menus we scanned all the German and Bavarian entrees. The girls decided to order off the children's menu once they found out that ice cream was included. Hannah ordered coconut shrimp and fries (not German at all but she said they were the best fries ever!) I had a much harder time deciding what to order. Finally, I ordered Sauerbraten with Spatzle. This turned out to be a great choice. I have never eaten spatzle before and had to ask my friend, Johnna, what it was. The girls tried our Sauerbraten (both Johnna and I ordered the same dish) and they all loved it! Here...I'll copy and paste the description of the meal! Choice top round of beef, marinated for several days, braised and slow roasted, served Bavarian style.
Overall, the trip was a success. Each girl is going to journal about our time in Helen, GA and when they do I'll post it on our Girl Scout blog.

Now, it's back to the grind....I've been trying to play catch up with work. I only get paid when I work...and I didn't work for almost 2 weeks because I was sick and then on the GS trip.

8 comments:

Melissa said...

Yummy! It looks nothing like I thought it would. I want to go there and try that. We have a German place here in Palatka, but I've never been there. I will have to see if Eric wants to go on a date there. I love to talk about food and you know that. I won't be so spiritual on my blog tonight. You'll see why when you read.

CroppinRobin said...

Okay...can't wait to read it!

Anonymous said...

My dad made Sauerbraten. Margaret, my grandfather's housekeeper made spatzle. Sounds like Jason and I need to make a trip to Helen...sounds RIGHT UP MY ALLEY.
Were there neat German shops as well? Did you bring back brochures?

CroppinRobin said...

Yes, we brought back lots of brochures. The Alpine Helen was kind of touristy and the shops were not exactly what I expected. But the falls were neat...after we hiked forever! There were lots of shops and such that were not in Helen, but in surrounding towns that looked really neat. We did go to a little peanut shop that had all kinds of homemade food items. We had peach cider slushies. Hannah wants to go back because the Cabbage Patch place was really close and we didn't get a chance to see it.

gideonmommasita said...

The best Reuben I can remember came from a place in Helen...wonder if it was the same place? Hmmm, you've got us all wanting german food now!!!!

gideonmommasita said...

Is Johnna the one you met in Tallahassee at a bank? I remember you talking about her when we lived there but I never met her.

Anonymous said...

HOWDY-----BURP! MAN THIS BLOG ENTRY HAS MY MOUTH WATERING------WE HAVE SOME REAL GOOD GERMAN RESTAURANTS IN CINCY TOO--JUST WENT TO ONE A FEW WEEKS AGO IN MAIN STRAUS AREA OF COVINGTON, KY---LOVE THAT GERMAN FOOD & THE OOOMPA-OMPA -PAH -PAH MUSIC-----THERE WAS A SMALL GLASS BLOWING SHOP IN COVINGTON WHERE I BOUGHT THE GLASS BLOWN TOP FOR OUR WEDDING CAKE(WAY BACK IN THE DAY...)-----I COULD STAND THERE FOR HOURS & WATCH THEM TOO----WHAT A NEAT SKILL/CRAFT TO LEARN-----ALSO THOUGHT A STAINED GLASS COURSE WOULD BE FUN----OH WELL----GOTTA GET BACK TO REALITY & GET THE KID FED---KISS THOSE 2 KIDS FOR US & KICK THE HUBBY :) J. & CREW

Anonymous said...

very useful article. I would love to follow you on twitter. By the way, did you guys learn that some chinese hacker had hacked twitter yesterday again.


2008 is going to be great....
It's the year I'm going to lose weight!