Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Baby Shower....

My friend, Lexdi, is pregnant with her 3rd girl. Another friend, Tracy, called a few weeks ago and asked if I would like to help her host a shower for Lexdi. I am always ready for a party. We packed my little house - 15 women in total! It was one of the easiest parties I have had. All I had to do was make a cake and sweet tea....

I checked out At Home with Carolyne Roehm. The book has beautiful photos of table settings and delicious looking food. She uses all different kinds of coverings for her tables. (Check out her website for some great ideas!) I love quilts and have a twin quilt that was in my mom's spare bedroom and really only use it in a pinch when we have lots of company. So....I decided to put it on the table as my tablecloth. It looked beautiful and was perfect. I was so busy that I didn't get a photo of it...so you'll have to use your imagination.
I made a cake from scratch which was a mistake because it was dry. But what the cake lacked in moistness (is that a word?) I made up for in decoration! I made fudge frosting...that part was really yummy. I put the fudge frosting in between the 3 layers and then on top. Then I added red food coloring to white frosting I purchased. It came out a lovely shade of pink. I put the pink frosting along the side of the cake. I piped along the top edge and bottom edge and added the initial of the baby. It turned out beautiful and with a glass of milk it would be enjoyable. Now that I think about it...this might be a blessing. I really don't want another piece!

For my gift I bought some ribbon and crocheted edging at Walmart....

Sidebar: Okay, I was at Walmart with Hannah and my Mom...we were buying gifts for Lexdi's 1st shower that I went to. Anyway, I decided that I wanted to make her some designer burp cloths. I found the ribbon I wanted and the crocheted edging that matched. I went to the cutting table and waited for the Walmart associate. I rang the bell....my mom rang the bell...Hannah rang the bell. We all rang the bell numerous times....and no associate. My mom picked up the phone in the fabric department and tried to page someone (I wish that would have worked...that would have been hysterical!) Anyway, I decided that I would go ahead and cut the ribbon and edging myself....I can measure. All the while, Hannah and my mom were ringing the bell. Still no associate. So, I then decide to try to scan the items myself. I'm a college graduate, I should be able to figure out how to scan an item. Well, after a few tries I did figure it out. I printed out the price tags, put my ribbon and edging in clear bags and pinned the price tags to the bags and left the fabric department. I hope that someone watches the video footage...they might just get a laugh out of that. That was a long sidebar...sorry about that. Funny story though, isn't it?

Okay, so I sewed the edging onto the bottom of cloth diapers and then sewed the ribbon on top of the edging. The finished product turned out perfect, much cuter than the designer burp cloths I found in a boutique and they were 3 for $18! I think I've found my new baby gift!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

The tablecloth is beautiful. I'm using my imagination.......
The burp cloths look awesome. Next time you're down, you are going to teach me how to do that. Did you use your sewing machine or sew by hand?

Johnna said...

I can't believe you didn't tell me Lexdi was pregnant...she's never going to leave MOPS! I feel so out of touch with that bunch since I left MOPS...miss them. The burp cloths do look awesome. Great idea!
CAN'T WAIT TO TUBE THE HOOCH!

gideonmommasita said...

HOLY COW! The thought had crossed my mind to do self service at the cutting table but have never actually tried it...you have nerves of steel! Lovely burp cloths, great cake, sharp pictures of everything.

Dee Dee's Diary said...

I am still laughing...that was the funniest event. I knew that college degree would pay off.

Anonymous said...

WISH I COULD HAVE BEEN THERE W/ YOU 3 STOOGES--HEEHEEEEEEEE------WHAT A HOOT! I WOULD HAVE BEEN PEEING MY PANTS LAUGHING-----YOU'RE HIRED! SAM WOULD BE PROUD---LOVE---LOVE----LOVE QUILTS------YOUR IDEA WAS GREAT--


2008 is going to be great....
It's the year I'm going to lose weight!